Athletics Canterbury Development Squad Managers
Athletics Canterbury is currently reviewing their development squad policy. In light of the challenges the sport faces in the coming few years it was felt that resurrecting the development squad in a new format, with emphasis on development and not solely on performance, was an important part of keeping the sport moving forward.
It is proposed that the new squad structure will be a two tiered system to assist athletes and their coaches to take the next steps in their athletic careers. Thus the tiers and performance standards will fit on a path to the Athletics New Zealand Squads. It is felt that the new structure covers key athlete drop off points and the full range of disciplines within our sport.
The current proposed tiers are:
· Junior (13-16 years of age)
· Development A (15-23 years –based on performance standards
· Development B (15-23 years – performing nationally and close to standards)
This proposal would be up for discussion with appointed squad managers.
Athletics Canterbury is looking for people to manage the squad levels under the leadership of the Sport Development Manager. These are volunteer positions with ideally a male and a female manager for both the Junior and Development levels (four managers).
Duties may include (but are not limited to) the following:
· Selection of athletes to squad with assistance from Athletics Canterbury selectors
· Monitoring performances of athletes
· Regular communication with athletes and their coaches
· Organisation of squad activities – these may be social or athletic based from seminars to camps
· Following up sponsorship opportunities
· Assisting with team management roles for Canterbury teams
Successful applicants will be decided on by the Athletics Canterbury Executive at their first meeting (proposed for August) following the Athletics Canterbury AGM.
Please send expressions of interest in these positions to:
Post: PO Box 3130, Christchurch