GENERAL MANAGER – ATHLETICS CANTERBURY
Athletics Canterbury represents clubs, athletes, officials and coaches in the Canterbury Region, providing effective governance, sport delivery and growth, with a special focus on the establishment of athletics at the new Nga Puna Wai Athletics Stadium and Sports Hub.
Our vision is to become the centre of excellence for athletics in New Zealand's by becoming the top athletics performance region. Our purpose is to lead, support and provide opportunities for the development of athletics and out of stadia events in the region, resulting in more people taking part, remaining healthy and reaching their potential.
Athletics Canterbury is governed by an elected Board and is managed by the General Manager with support initially from a part time Out of Stadia Events Manager.
Reporting to the Chair of the Board, the General Manager is responsible for leading the organisation and achieving the targets and outcomes set by the Board.
This is a new role based in Christchurch which has been created to support the Athletics Canterbury Board and to drive the implementation of its new Strategic Plan.
The primary focus of the role is to build relationships with stakeholders, sponsors and funders whilst establishing the sport of athletics within the new Nga Puna Wai Sports Hub. The emphasis will be on providing a funding model and identifying new opportunities that will allow the organisation to better support the sport of athletics in Canterbury Region. The General Manager will lead and manage the operating team to implement the new Athletics Canterbury Strategic Plan.
To be considered for this role you will need to have the ability to swiftly build relationships and credibility with stakeholders as well as seek out opportunities to benefit the organisation. You will experienced in effective financial management of an organisation, managing staff and be able to work independently.
An understanding of athletics would be advantageous but not necessary.
The responsibilities of the role include the following:
· Develop and maintain stakeholder, sponsor and funder relationships
· Identify influencers and key industry groups, cultivate potential new business opportunities
· Develop and implement business plan and budget to support the strategic plan and ensure necessary resources are in place to meet agreed objectives
· Focus on budget objectives around funding and expenses
· Manage the team to promote a healthy and innovative culture of growth and opportunity
Skills and experience
· Strong communication and negotiating skills
· Effective financial management experience
· Sales and marketing and /or event management experience
· An understanding of the sport and recreation sector
· People management skills with emphasis on team building and motivating subordinates
· Flexibility and willingness to work outside normal hours as necessary
This is a full time permanent position at 40 hours a week but some degree of flexibility is required. Part time or job share may be considered. This position has been re-advertised.
Salary range from $70,000 -$80,000 including car and phone.
Confidential enquires and requests for further information should be made to Monique Gale ph (021) 832 545.
All applications including curriculum vitae to be forwarded to the secretary, Athletics Canterbury email@example.com
Applications close at 5pm on Thursday 12 July 2018