PRINTABLE VERSION – CLICK
QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE FOR CLUBS – CLICK
|2021 WINTER PROGRAMME|
|March 28||NBOL 5 & 10km event – New Brighton Pier|
|April 11||ASB Christchurch Marathon|
|School Holidays||16th April to 3rd May|
|April 25 Sunday||Hagley Memorial Relay*|
|May 08||Lionel Fox Relays*|
|May 08||Rotorua Marathon (NZ Masters Marathon champs)|
|May 11 Tuesday||Secondary School Road Championships|
|May 22||Rawhiti Races incorporating Jane Paterson Cup*|
|June 03 Thurssday||Secondary School Cross Country Championships|
|June 07 Queens Birthday||A Right Royal event|
|June 12||Andrew Reese Memorial Relay @ Rangiora*|
|June 19||Secondary Schools CC Champs, Hawera|
|June 26||Holloway Cross Country Races*|
|School Holidays||10th July to 26th July|
|July 10||Kennett Cup*|
|July 24||Canterbury Cross-Country Champs*|
|July 31||Lakeside Relays*|
|August 07||NZ Cross Country Championships –Dunedin|
|August 21||Canterbury Road Championships*|
|September 04||Port Hills U18 Races*|
|September 05||NZ Road Championships – Hamilton|
|September 18||Governors Bay to Lyttelton*|
|School Holidays||1st October to 18th October|
|October 02||NZ National Road Relay – Takahe to Akaroa Relay*|
|October 10 Sunday||End of season function – Nga Puna Wai|
|October 17 Sunday||NZ Trail Running Championships – Crater Rim Trail Run|
|October 31 Sunday||Sumner Boulder Bay Classic|
|November 07 Sunday||Selwyn, Canterbury Half- Marathon Champs|
All dates Saturday unless otherwise stated
*Winter club of the year events
NZ CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS - Team Information
Event Information and Online entry – CLICK
Entries close 11.59pm, Sunday, 1st August (No late entries accepted)
NZ ROAD CHAMPIONSHIPS - Team Information
Details to follow
CANTERBURY RUNNING | CROSS COUNTRY
Cross-Country, Road and Trail running covers all running that occurs outside the “track” on an athletics field.
Commonly called Cross-Country & Road, this discipline in Canterbury, covers a much wider range of running than the name suggests. Runners, be they fast or steadier, have a range of options from a 5km fun run around Hagley Park through to the challenging 51km of the Crater Rim trail event on the Port Hills.
- Cross – country runs are racing as either individuals or teams over a few shortish loops (about 2km) and mixed terrain of grass, sand, and forest floor. Examples include:
- The 5km summer series in Hagley Park
- The Lionel Fox relay loops over beach & forest at Woodend Beach
- Road racing is usually on bitumen or hard surfaces and we have a mix of runs ranging from shortish loops to longer scenic road events. Key examples include:
- Lakeside Relay which loops around Lake Roto Kohatu
- The stunning 10km run between Governors Bay to Lyttelton
- The iconic Takahe to Akaroa Road relay and, of course
- The Canterbury Half / Full Marathons.
- Trail racing – as the name describes, are runs over trail and are generally longer (10km or over) events out on the hills and in the forests. Athletics Canterbury’s key trail events are:
- Crater Rim (races from 10 to 51km on the Port Hills) &
- Boulder Bay – a 10.5km run, out around Godley Head
- Mountain running describes those runs up and / or down mountains.
- Race walking is also possible on some of the flatter terrains.
Full programme details can be found here:
Children wanting to run in events can enter via a club or via the community runner entry on the event websites. Clubs are spread right across the region and children & their parents can find out details of a club in our clubs’ section.
Adults have three options. They can
- Join the club scene and run with other like-minded people in a supportive & encouraging environment. Club details can be found in the clubs’ section.
- Check out our Can Run programme which has events and coaching ideal for those who are new to running, don’t want to join a club, or want to run in only a select number of races. Can Run details can be found here.
- Run in any of our events as Community runners by visiting each event website
Regardless of how you join us – welcome. Canterbury is an awesome place to run in and we would love to share our passion for running with you and your family.