PRINTABLE VERSION – CLICK
|March 28 – Sunday||Pier to Pier – New Brighton Pier|
|April 11||ASB Christchurch Marathon
NZ Marathon Championships, and Canterbury Marathon
|School Holidays||16th April to 3rd May|
|April 25 – Sunday||Hagley Memorial Relay|
|May 08||Lionel Fox Relays|
|May 08||Rotorua Marathon (NZ Masters Marathon Championships)|
|May 13 – Thursday||Secondary School Road Championships|
|May 22||Rawhiti Cross Country Races incorporating the Jane Paterson|
|June 01 – Tuesday||Secondary School Cross Country Championships|
|June 07 Queens Birthday Monday||A Royal Derby, Ascot Park|
|June 12||Andrew Reese Memorial Relay @ Rangiora|
|June 19/20||Secondary Schools Cross Country Championships, Hawera|
|June 26||Holloway Cross Country Races|
|School Holidays||10th July to 26th July|
|July 10||Kennett Cup|
|July 24||Canterbury Cross-Country Championships – Halswell Quarry|
|July 31||Lakeside Relays – Lake Roto Kohatu|
|August 07||NZ Cross Country Championships – Dunedin|
|August 21||Canterbury Road Championships|
|September 04||Port Hills U18 Races|
|September 05 – Sunday||NZ Road Championships – Hamilton|
|September 18||Governors Bay to Lyttelton|
|School Holidays||1st October to 18th October|
|October 02||NZ National Road Relay – Takahe to Akaroa Relay|
|October 10 – Sunday||End of season function – Nga Puna Wai|
|October 17 – Sunday||NZ Trail Running Championships – Crater Rim Trail Run, Christchurch|
|October 31 – Sunday||Sumner Boulder Bay Classic|
|November 07 – Sunday||Selwyn, Canterbury Half Marathon Championships|
|Jan / Feb 2022 – Tuesday evenings||Port Hills 5km, Hagley Park|
All dates Saturday unless otherwise noted
CANTERBURY RUNNING | CROSS COUNTRY
Cross-Country, Road and Trail running covers all running that occurs outside the “track” on an athletics field.
Commonly called Cross-Country & Road, this discipline in Canterbury, covers a much wider range of running than the name suggests. Runners, be they fast or steadier, have a range of options from a 5km fun run around Hagley Park through to the challenging 51km of the Crater Rim trail event on the Port Hills.
- Cross – country runs are racing as either individuals or teams over a few shortish loops (about 2km) and mixed terrain of grass, sand, and forest floor. Examples include:
- The 5km summer series in Hagley Park
- The Lionel Fox relay loops over beach & forest at Woodend Beach
- Road racing is usually on bitumen or hard surfaces and we have a mix of runs ranging from shortish loops to longer scenic road events. Key examples include:
- Lakeside Relay which loops around Lake Roto Kohatu
- The stunning 10km run between Governors Bay to Lyttelton
- The iconic Takahe to Akaroa Road relay and, of course
- The Canterbury Half / Full Marathons.
- Trail racing – as the name describes, are runs over trail and are generally longer (10km or over) events out on the hills and in the forests. Athletics Canterbury’s key trail events are:
- Crater Rim (races from 10 to 51km on the Port Hills) &
- Boulder Bay – a 10.5km run, out around Godley Head
- Mountain running describes those runs up and / or down mountains.
- Race walking is also possible on some of the flatter terrains.
Full programme details can be found here:
Children wanting to run in events can enter via a club or via the community runner entry on the event websites. Clubs are spread right across the region and children & their parents can find out details of a club in our clubs’ section.
Adults have three options. They can
- Join the club scene and run with other like-minded people in a supportive & encouraging environment. Club details can be found in the clubs’ section.
- Check out our Can Run programme which has events and coaching ideal for those who are new to running, don’t want to join a club, or want to run in only a select number of races. Can Run details can be found here.
- Run in any of our events as Community runners by visiting each event website
Regardless of how you join us – welcome. Canterbury is an awesome place to run in and we would love to share our passion for running with you and your family.